Thursday, January 13, 2011

Natural Hair and Self-Esteem


Making the decision to go natural at 15 years old was a BIG step for me. Actually going natural at 16 was even harder. I think I experienced every emotion under the sun during my transition. I faced a lot of BS from my family, friends, and people I don't even know.

When I first told my family that I was going natural, my uncle jokingly said that a TWA (he didn't know that was the actual term) would make me look like a butch, which is a masculine acting/looking bisexual/homosexual woman.

During my first few months of transitioning, I was told that my hair was too 'ugly' and too 'nappy' to go natural.

Halfway through, a guy at my school told me that I look uglier with natural hair.

Even now, I'm looked at with disgust by some people because of my hair.

A lot of people will say that 'it's just hair', but to me, it's not just hair. It's a reflection of who I am. Just like the clothes I wear, music I like, and choices I make, my hair is an outward reflection of the person I am. I'm not saying that my hair is some kind of political statement. I am NOT down with the movement and against the man.  It was a personal choice.

Going natural tested my character and my limits. My self-esteem took a serious beating and there were many times that I wanted to give up and conform so I wouldn't have to go through the things that I went through. During my transition, there was so much uncertainty with going natural. What will it look like? Will it grow? Will my hair be short forever? Is it gonna grow down my back? Am I gonna look like who shot John and what for?

Most ex-relaxed naturals have NEVER seen their natural hair. So, going natural is a serious leap of faith. I always say fake it until you make it during your transition. If you transitioned for a long period of time like I did, people will get used to it in time. They may not like it, but once they realize that it's not going anywhere, they will respect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment