After my big decision to go natural in May of 2009 I was at a loss! There was SO much information (and I didn't even know YouTube was poppin like that yet). I didn't know what information was right or wrong. After that first month of no relaxer I couldn't just wear my normal hairstyle.
So after a little research I found a hairstyle on YouTube. The link will be posted at the bottom. Once I found that hairstyle, it became my signature transitioning look! I like to call it the Twist and Curl. It lasted about a week before my relaxed ends flattened out. I think it's one of the best hairstyles that blend the two textures together. The only difference was that I used LottaBody and shea butter. That mixture was FABULOUS.
During my transition, the hair wasn't even the problem! It was the negativity associated with it. I think I was told, "You need a perm!" at LEAST 100 times by some person or another. Of course, I was too shy to retort back, "You need some edges! Going natural while you're still in high school can be both rough AND rewarding.
What helped me most during my transition as it pertains to people who were all up in my business was to ACT like I had it goin on. Yes, you could be trembling inside, but I know for a fact that if YOU don't act like there's a problem with it, they'll be less inclined to give you a negative comment. Attitude people, attitude!
What ways do/did you use to cope with the craziness of transitioning?
What hairstyles do/did you use during your transition?
Comments are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS welcome.
Thanks,
Lexi

No comments:
Post a Comment