Saturday, January 8, 2011

Transitioning Tale: The Sew-In

Post BC-June 11, 2010


February 1, 2010

January 3, 2010
The sew-in is a hairstyle in which the hair extensions are 'sewn' with thread on to braided hair.  I totally endorse the sew-in as a transitioning style. It's like the ultimate protective style AND it's cute. While I transitioned I sometimes felt like I was settling for what I could get. I REALLY hated the two different textures, but was too afraid to BC early.

So I suffered.

Until I found out about the sew-in.

My hair was sewn in 4 times over the course of my natural hair journey.  Each sew-in lasted 2 months. I want to get straight to the point and give you the pros and cons of a sew-in as a transitioning style.

PROS

  1. Hair is completely protected
  2. No breakage
  3. No shedding
  4. Very little manipulation
  5. Self-confidence boost (at least it was for me)


CONS

  1. Hair may not be receiving proper care (washing, conditioning, massaging, etc.)
  2. Blending. I pressed AND flat ironed my hair every other day so that my sew-in wouldn't look a hot mess. My hair would not revert back to its original curl pattern for months. Bad idea.
  3. More maintenance


Should you get a sew-in? Yes. Watch out for super tight braids. Your edges will magically disappear. 

My point: Sew-ins are awesome. They give you the most GROWTH. Retention is another story.

Comments are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS  welcome.

Thanks,

Lexi



No comments:

Post a Comment